You may have heard about 3D printing and wondered, “How can this benefit my business?” I have put together this blog to give you a few ways that this new form of printing can make a difference. Before I go into the benefits of 3D printing, I will give you an overview of 3D printing and its applications.
So how does 3D printing work? Regular printers use ink, but 3D printers use melted plastic. The majority of 3D printers build layers of an object by applying melted plastic from a movable nozzle until the layers build the object.
3D printing is currently used for both small scale and large scale projects. From bicycles to prosthetic limbs, computer parts, and even houses. 3D printing is changing the way both major industries and small to medium-sized businesses operate. A company can build a prototype of one-off design in a matter of minutes. This can easily cut down on the time and cost of mass producing an item.
Here are some examples of how small business can use 3D printing:
- For companies with small budgets, 3D printing can help by allowing them to print one-of-a-kind products.
- The cd tray on your computer breaks. 3D printing could be used to quickly make a replacement piece.
- Architects can benefit from printing scale models of their designs for prospective clients.
- A bicycle maker could build a one-of-a-kind bike for a special event.
Why are 3D printers becoming so popular?
- Cost: Prices started around a million dollars, but have now begun to rapidly decrease with there even being a $1,000 printer on the market.
- More Printers on the Market: Dell currently is selling the MakerBot line and HP will soon be launching a line of 3D printers.
Hopefully this blog has given you some helpful info about 3D printing and how it is impacting businesses. Be sure to contact us to find out how we can help your business.